Are you our Cloud Platform team's next C++ Engineer?
The AIMMS Cloud Platform is currently a Java application running on AWS (set of 10+ Docker services);
- It is multi-tenant, we currently have 50+ customers, mostly large enterprises and the number is growing every month;
- It originates from an on-premise Java solution, AIMMS PRO, that is used for publishing and deployment of AIMMS applications;
- We’re still supporting that on-premise product, but our main focus is on the Cloud.
We are looking for a C++ Engineer to join our Cloud Platform team. Why join?
Software engineering challenge. For our cloud platform multiple services written in Java run in a mix of multi-tenant and single-user Docker containers on multiple Docker container clusters. The single-user Docker containers are launched on-demand to run custom AIMMS applications. We almost always achieve our uptime target of 99.5%. We keep strengthening our security and are continuously being monitored by large enterprise customers, external pen-testers and automatic scanning services. And probably the biggest upcoming challenge is the complete rewrite of the AIMMS Cloud Platform. Be part of it!
Our culture. We are proud of our culture, nurtured over 30 years, and believe it is special. It is about people, about trust, about valuing differences and about the combination of performance and care. Read our Culture Book to find out what AIMMSians write about it.
Holacracy. We are self-organized, using Holacracy. No managers. Plenty autonomy and transparency. Quick adjustments of organization, roles and accountabilities. A place where you can develop yourself to your full potential
What are the challenges we solved recently?
- Moved our big on-premise solution to the Cloud (AWS, Docker);
- Automated Cloud setup so that we can spin up new accounts within minutes (Python, CloudFormation);
- Started splitting that monolith into microservices (Java, Spring, Spring Boot);
- We prototyped a new version of the cloud implementation: Kubernetes and Azure. An external party has now taken over the Azure part, preparing a go-live in the first half of 2021.
What are the upcoming challenges for this year?
- A complete rewrite of our AIMMS PRO architecture and code, using all that we learned in the last 10 years, thinking cloud-native, thinking micro-services, switching from Java to C++, including a new build environment and basing everything on REST APIs.
- Goal is to make the AIMMS Cloud Platform even more scalable and reliable and simpler and quicker to maintain.
- Our team covers everything that is related to our product: design, development, testing, release management and deployment;
- We have unit and integration tests in place. Our test coverage is low (around 50%), but we’re working on it;
- We’re using GitLab both as version-control system and CI/CD. Everything’s automated. You can push a commit and in 15 minutes you will have a build with all relevant tests executed;
- We have scripts (and UI) for deployment. A hotfix can be (and sometimes is) deployed to production within 30 minutes after the commit.
What we are looking for:
- You have a master degree or comparable education in a relevant subject;
- You know C++ and you are using latest features of the language and are familiar with supporting libraries and other tools;
- You don’t mind writing scripts in Python;
- OOP and OOD are not just some buzzwords for you;
- You like writing tests and know what TDD is;
- You’re not scared of multithreading;
- You have experience with Docker or at least know what it is and how it can be used;
- You know when to prefer microservices over monolith solution and vice-versa;
- You’re keen to build cloud-native applications;
- You have experience with Azure and/or AWS;
- You like writing and reading clean code;
- You have a pro-active attitude, you are always looking for tasks to pick up and ways to help colleagues;
- You are a quick-starter and quick-learner, able to add value quickly: we need you to come up to speed rapidly because our users expect a lot of output;
- You are comfortable with speaking and writing in English.
- Flexible working hours with possibility to work from home;
- No managers. We use Holacracy as operating system;
- Daily lunch & fresh fruits are available;
- A competitive salary;
- Fully paid pension;
- 6 weeks of holiday per year;
- Annual performance-based bonus;
- Annual training & conference budget;
- 15-min train ride from Amsterdam Central Station (travel cost covered if > 10 kilometers).
Please send your resume and a cover letter detailing why you would be a good fit for the position.
In case you have questions, you can reach us at +31 23 5511 512 and ask for Pauline.
No acquisition please.
At AIMMS we:
- Are proud of our culture and believe it is special. It is about people, about trust, about valuing differences and about the combination of performance and care. Visit our culture page to read perspectives of AIMMSians.
- Are self-organized, using Holacracy. No managers. Plenty autonomy and transparency. Quick adjustments of organization, roles and accountabilities. A place where you can develop yourself to your full potential.
- Are a strong team of first-class, passionate colleagues with many different nationalities that form part of a small, fast-growing company, serving customers around the world;
- Offer an environment where you can focus on your greatest strengths and identify and pursue your passions;
- Give you the opportunity to further grow and develop;
- Offer an attractive pay and benefits package.