In the realm of mathematical optimization, the right tool can make all the difference in the world for businesses. AIMMS customers, like many in the field, frequently find themselves at a crossroads, questioning why they should choose AIMMS when Python, a seemingly viable free alternative, is readily available.
Both AIMMS and Python have their merits and are championed by dedicated user communities, but they represent distinct approaches to the field of mathematical optimization.
In this blog post, we aim to dispel some common misconceptions about AIMMS and Python, shedding light on the true potential of AIMMS as a low-code platform for developing powerful business applications fueled by mathematical optimization. Let’s dive in.
AIMMS vs. Python – Myth Busting
AIMMS and Python both deal with mathematical optimization models, but they are distinct. Let’s see how.
Myth 1: AIMMS and Python do the same thing.
Python is a versatile programming language known for its adaptability and extensive usage across various domains. Pyomo, a modeling library in Python, further enhances its capabilities, specifically designed to aid in mathematical modeling and optimization tasks.
AIMMS is a specialized modeling language crafted explicitly for intricate mathematical optimization models. However, AIMMS is more than just a modeling language; it shines as a low-code platform, seamlessly integrating crucial features necessary to convert these models into fully operational end-user applications.
Fact: AIMMS simplifies model development and facilitates quick deployment to end-users, providing a significant return on investment.
Myth 2: Python-based business solutions are free.
Contrary to belief, running complex mathematical optimization models with Python isn’t entirely free. High-end solvers like CPLEX or Gurobi, essential for solving such models, require a subscription. Additionally, distribution and infrastructure costs need consideration when deploying Python-based apps to end-users.
AIMMS offers a comprehensive solution that combines optimization modeling and solvers within a single platform, resulting in cost efficiency and simplified distribution to end-users. This integrated approach distinguishes AIMMS from Python, where the need to purchase high-end solvers separately can incur significant expenses.
Fact: Python can be used with a free license but harnessing mathematical optimization for businesses comes with associated costs.
Myth 3: The Python community makes life easier.
Python boasts a vast and active community of users and developers but the Python community lacks organized quality control. While developers actively support and help each other, there isn’t a centralized system for quality assurance.
The AIMMS community provides dedicated support and regular updates directly from its development team. Ensuring a structured approach and quality control through a Service Level Statement (SLS).
Fact: AIMMS offers tailored support and a standardized service level, enhancing user experience and reliability.
Myth 4: All academics use Python for modeling.
While Python is a popular choice among students, AIMMS has a strong academic presence, offering complimentary academic licenses and specific platforms like AIMMS Campus. It is worth noting that the modeling techniques practiced in an academic setting significantly differ from the development of a business application.
AIMMS, enriched by three decades of feedback from optimization app developers serving Fortune 500 customers, encapsulates a wealth of functions and features for translating models into practical, industry-ready solutions.
Fact: AIMMS has a strong academic background, offers support and resources for students and professors, and possesses extensive expertise in real-world optimization app development. While Python is a popular choice among students, it’s essential to consider the differences in application and expertise when making decisions.
If you are a student, professor, or researcher looking for a developer license, apply for a Free AIMMS Academic License here.
Myth 5: Modeling with Python is faster and easier.
The perception that Python is faster and easier for modeling arises from familiarity. However, once users become proficient with AIMMS syntax, it proves to be an efficient modeling tool, especially in debugging, performance enhancement, and transforming models into user-friendly applications.
Fact: AIMMS excels in speed, efficiency, and ROI when ‘optimizing’ models and transforming them into intuitive applications.
AIMMS Developer: Empowering the Model Lifecycle
AIMMS software offers a powerful set of tools and features to facilitate the development and transformation of mathematical models into user-friendly applications. Here are some key features:
- 30 years of optimization expertise: AIMMS incorporates three decades of feedback from optimization app developers, enriching the software with industry knowledge and best practices.
- Uniform AIMMS syntax: AIMMS syntax promotes the creation of standardized, uniform code that is easy to maintain and transfer across projects.
- Independent application development: A single developer can independently create a full-fledged business application using AIMMS, covering all aspects from conception to deployment.
- Built-in features: AIMMS boasts an array of built-in features, including a drag-and-drop user interface builder, comprehensive UX optimization guidance, connectivity with high-end solvers, robust debugging programs like Math Inspector, and more, enabling efficient model development.
AIMMS Cloud-based Deployment: Secure, Scalable, & Efficient
AIMMS’ cloud-based deployment platform offers unmatched benefits in terms of accessibility, security, and scalability.
- Efficient deployment: AIMMS allows developers to deploy an application to the cloud-based platform within just 30 seconds, providing quick and seamless access to end-users.
- No end-user software installation: AIMMS apps can be accessed directly through a web browser, eliminating the need for end-users to install any additional software.
- Robust security measures: The AIMMS Cloud Platform is ISO27001 certified, employs encryption at rest and in transit, automatic intrusion detection, vulnerability scanning, and undergoes annual third-party security assessments, ensuring a secure environment for app distribution.
- Auto-scaling and redundancy: The platform automatically scales the IT infrastructure to handle varying user demand and incorporates redundancy measures for both hardware and software components, ensuring high availability and minimizing downtime.
AIMMS Support: Ensuring Seamless User Experience
AIMMS stands committed to providing top-notch support and ensuring a standardized level of service and performance through the following:
- Dedicated support and updates: AIMMS offers dedicated support and regular updates from the AIMMS development team, providing users with technical assistance, bug fixes, and access to new features.
- SLS: AIMMS upholds a service level statement to ensure a standardized level of service and performance, enhancing the overall user experience.
The AIMMS Promise
1. Efficient Development – AIMMS streamlines model lifecycle, from development to deployment, reducing time and complexity compared to Python.
2. Seamless Integration – AIMMS effortlessly connects with other systems, enhancing data exchange and integration with databases and software tools.
3. Community Support –AIMMS has a thriving community of experts in Operational Research, Mathematical Optimization, and Supply Chain, enhancing knowledge sharing, collaboration, and best practices for an enriched AIMMS experience.
4. Robust Solutions – AIMMS builds secure, scalable, and maintainable business solutions, ensuring data integrity and optimization effectiveness.
5. Fast ROI – AIMMS delivers quick returns on investment with efficient development, integration, and deployment processes, making it ideal for businesses seeking swift results.
What Our Customers Say!
- “You can’t roll out Python at scale.”
- “Building even a simple Python app takes ages.”
- “All Python examples online are impractical for enterprises.”
- “We developed and rolled out an AIMMS App in 15 days and instantly saved all AIMMS license costs.”
- “If you do Python, you still need Gurobi (if LP/MIP), hence the cost will be there anyhow – still you have to worry about all the other stuff (UIs, deploying, scaling, etc.).”
- “Editing a model/app is done in a flash with AIMMS.”
- “Python models get convoluted quickly.”
- “Using AIMMS, there is no need to have 25 people managing the infrastructure, the apps, security, IT performance, etc.”
- “The AIMMS modeling language stands unrivaled in its sheer elegance.”
AIMMS and Python are powerful tools, each with its unique strengths in the domain of mathematical optimization. It’s crucial to understand their differences and capabilities to make informed decisions for optimal business solutions.
AIMMS, as a low-code platform, offers streamlined development, rapid deployment, and unparalleled efficiency, making it a game-changer for businesses looking to harness the power of mathematical optimization.